In 1837, the Norwegian government appointed a commission whose task was to evaluate the conditions concerning the implementation of loss of freedom. In 1841, the commission presented its recommendations, Parliament dealt with them, subsequently allocating resources to build a new remedial prison ('botsfengsel') in Christiania - the former name of Oslo. Building work commenced in 1844, and in 1851 the premises could open for use. At that time there were places for 240 inmates.
The capacity requirements at district prisons and smaller prisons in Norway became acute during the 1920s. This was mainly due to the closure of many old prisons after the turn of the century. In order to relieve the situation, Parliament decided, in 1933, to purchase a large brewery (Actiebryggeriet) in Oslo and to build a new prison there. This property was adjacent to the remedial prison opened in 1851. The first part of this new district prison was completed in 1934, the other parts opened gradually on successive completion.
The prison hospital was open for use in 1940. Together with the department in Møllegaten 19 (in Oslo City entre), Oslo District Prison now had approximately 500 places and was therefore the largest prison facility in the country. (At this time, the remedial prison - 'botsfengsel' - was not a part of Oslo District Prison).
This provided long-awaited relief for the federal prisons, since one of the departments at the new district prison was used as a federal prison unit in 1937, and a new extension t the remedial prison was opened in Spring 1934.
Akershus Federal Prison situated at Akershus Castle was closed down in June 1950. As a result of this closure, the remedial prison - 'botsfengsel' - was now the only federal prison for men, and it did not have sufficient capacity to accommodate all prisoners from previous federal prisons.
The 1951 Prison Reform recommended that the remedial prison be modernised and that the number of places be reduced from 226 to 180. A new federal prison was to be built in Trondheim and another near Oslo. It was discovered that it would prove too expensive to modernise the remedial prison - 'botsfengsel', and the new federal prison near Oslo was to replace this. For economic reasons, only the new federal prison was built (Ullersmo), and the limit for custodial periods at some of the country's district prisons was increased from five months to 18 months.
In 1970 the remedial prison - 'botsfengsel' - was closed down as a federal prison and the inmates were transferred to the new Ullersmo Prison. The interior of the remedial prison was then completely modernised. In 1975 the prison was taken over by Oslo District Prison as a new 'Department A' instead of Møllergaten 19, which was demolished.